He had vowed to resign if Kenya was stripped of its CHAN hosting rights.
Football Kenya Federation (FKF) President Nick Mwendwa has insisted that he is not going to call it quits after Kenya was stripped of the hosting rights for the 2018 African Nations Championships (CHAN).
It is claimed that Mwendwa in his early days in office, promised that he would quit if the country were to be stripped of the CHAN hosting rights but in a presser on Monday 25 September, the president said the federation’s input was all directed at ensuring the competition comes to Kenya and the country failing to host CHAN was not due to mistakes emanating from his office.
He urged those interested in his seat to wait until 2020 when the next football elections will be held.
“Let me make it very clear that I will not resign. Kenya did not lose the CHAN 2018 hosting rights due to FKF mistakes and therefore I will not resign. FKF elections are coming up in 2020 and I welcome anyone interested in the seat to vie. We will have a fair contest and whoever wins will take over,” Mwendwa said.
In the presser, Mwendwa had earlier confirmed that CAF were concerned with the political situation in the country hence stripping of hosting rights; this being the second time Kenya has lost the right to stage an African football competition after being replaced by South Africa as 1996 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) hosts.
CAF confirmed that a bidding process for new hosts to replace Kenya will be opened immediately on a day they announced that, Cameroon remain as hosts of the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations, though the organizing committee must organise for an audit firm to carry out an inspection mission of the country’s infrastructure.
CAF also announced that Egypt have replaced Zambia as hosts of the 2019 Under-23 Africa Cup of Nations, which doubles as qualification for the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games. Zambia withdrew as hosts of the eight-nation competition on financial grounds.
Full story credits: www.soka.co.ke