Share this story
Claim your Bonus
Get 100% up to SGD100 Bonus on your First Deposit
England boss Roy Hodgson says he doesn’t envisage any shock inclusions in his World Cup squad for Brazil next summer.
The Three Lions qualified for Brazil last month but have since struggled in two friendlies, losing 2-0 to Chile and 1-0 to old rivals Germany at Wembley over the last week.
That has led to suggestions the current squad needs reinforcements but Hodgson says he has been carefully watching the players at his disposal and does not see anyone unexpected pushing for a place on the plane.
“I’ve been looking at players for 19 months so I don’t think there’s too many who will come out and really surprise me,” Hodgson told BBC Sport.
“I don’t expect in the coming months to be watching games and suddenly find players I have never really thought of jump out at me and prove to be a lot better.”
Several players, including Liverpool winger Raheem Sterling, West Ham starlet Ravel Morrison and Hull midfielder Tom Huddlestone have been touted as possible contenders for the squad, while there were also calls for Hodgson to try and persuade John Terry out of international retirement.
England’s next game is against Denmark at Wembley on March 5 before Hodgson names his provisional 30-man squad for the World Cup.