Share this story
Claim your Bonus
Get 100% up to SGD100 Bonus on your First Deposit
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers says he won’t rush into signing new players inJanuary despite losing two of his star men to injury for an extended period of time.
The Reds boss confirmed in his press conference on Friday that captain Steven Gerrard could be out for up to six weeks with the hamstring injury he suffered against West Ham last week.
That rules the England international out of the busy festive period and puts him in the treatment room alongside striker Daniel Sturridge, who faces two months on the sidelines with an ankle injury.
With defenders Jose Enrique and Sebastian Coates also unavailable Rodgers, finds himself short of options in a number of areas heading into the New Year.
Liverpool’s current injury problems has prompted speculation the former Swansea man may be tempted to get his cheque book out in January, having spent heavily in the corresponding period last year.
However, Rodgers says he is unlikely to spend any money when the transfer window re-opens and insists that if he does decide to buy he won’t be rushed into any purchases.
“January can be a hard window,” he told Sky Sports News. “While we were very successful in it last year – with Philippe Coutinho and Daniel Sturridge – we just won’t be buying for the sake of it. We will wait and see what is out there.”
Rodgers went on to say that he has been delighted with the way his side have started the season having moved back up into second in the Premier League after last week’s win over West Ham.
“For us, the way we have been positive and aggressive in our attack has been excellent and our understanding of the model of how we want to work here is improving,” he said.
“We have shown that we can win games while ensuring we play well.”