Liverpool look as if they will have to make do without Nathaniel Clyne until the New Year after Jurgen Klopp revealed he faces further time out with a back injury.
The right-back picked-up the problem during the Reds’ opening pre-season friendly against Tranmere and has not featured since, with youngsters Trent Alexander-Arnold and Joe Gomez deputising.
In his absence, his side have collected seven points from their opening three Premier League games, while they have also progressed to the group stages of the Champions League.
Although the club had been coy on when Clyne might return, the first indication his issue could be more long-term than initially thought came on Monday when he was left out of their Champions League squad for the groups.
The Reds are 19.00 to win the Champions League, while a first English title since 1990 is priced at 11.00.
Speaking to the club’s official website on Tuesday, Klopp revealed the 26-year-old still has plenty of work to do as he tries to shake off what was first thought to be a minor knock.
“Nathaniel is working hard on his rehab and we have kept a close eye on his progress, but the reality is we are looking at some time still before he is back and available for selection,” Klopp said.
“I am told it will be longer than just a couple of weeks, so we will continue to monitor and assess.
“It is pretty certain he’ll not be available for the majority of the Champions League group matches.
If we are fortunate enough to still be in UEFA competition in the New Year he could be added to the squad then.”