New Crystal Palace boss Alan Pardew has admitted he is interested in Liverpool’s Rickie Lambert but says he expects the striker to stay at Anfield.
Pardew is on the lookout for reinforcements to help the Eagles mount a successful survival operation in the second half of the Premier League season and had identified former Southampton forward Lambert as a potential January purchase.
The 32-year-old, who joined the Reds last summer, has mainly been used as a back-up option by boss Brendan Rodgers so far and he has managed just two goals in all competitions for his boyhood club.
On Saturday, he was left on the bench as Rodgers opted to start with Fabio Borini at Sunderland and Lambert’s chances of regular first-team action look slim in the coming weeks with Daniel Sturridge expected to be back fit by the end of the month.
Pardew was keen to lure him to Selhurst Park and revealed he spoke to Rodgers about a potential deal but Lambert is likely to stay at Anfield.
“I did have a conversation with Brendan, but I don’t think that Rickie is going anywhere,” Pardew said after his side’s win against Tottenham on Saturday night.
“I think that Rickie wants to stay there and try and win his position.
I have no doubt that he can do that.”
Pardew has made a good start as Palace boss since arriving from Newcastle, beating Dover in the FA Cup third round and then seeing off top-four hopefuls Spurs.
He will hope to continue the winning run when he takes his side to Burnley on Saturday (Burnley 2.35, Palace 3.11, draw 3.10).