Southampton defender Jose Fonte has confirmed that he is in talks with the club to sign a new deal.
The centre-back is reportedly wanted by both Cardiff City and Hull City, but Southampton Chairman Ralph Krueger admitted earlier in the week that the club will not look to sell any more of their current squad.
This summer Adam Lallana, Rickie Lambert, Calum Chambers, Dejan Lovren and Luke Shaw have all left the club but Fonte is still willing to stay put.
The Portuguese’s contract runs out next year but the 30-year-old insists he is happy on the south coast.
He told the Daily Mirror: “I am in negotiations to renew my contract. There have been offers from other clubs but I feel happy at Southampton.”
New boss Ronald Koeman has brought in replacements and is expected to add to his squad before the transfer window shuts on September 1.
Although Fonte admits it was sad to see his previous team-mates leave, he has been impressed by their replacements.
“I’m sad that so many players have left, but that’s football,” he said.
“Ronald Koeman already knew he was going to lose some players. Of course, he can’t be very happy with the situation but he has already signed three quality players.
“Ryan Bertrand came in to Luke Shaw’s place and has done good work, Graziano Pelle scored a lot of goals last year in Holland and Dusan Tadic has a lot of technical quality.
“We still need another three or four more. The players who have arrived have brought competitiveness.”
Fonte will come up against some his former team-mates on the first weekend of the season on August 17 when Southampton go to Liverpool. The Saints are 7.12 to win, with the draw 4.69 while Brendan Rodgers’ side are 1.34 to take all three points with Dafabet.