Rafael Nadal says he will not let his current bout of appendicitis stop him from competing in this week’s Shanghai Masters as he continues his comeback.
The Spaniard has once again been plagued by injury in 2014, missing the defence of his US Open title with a wrist injury.
He made his return to the court last week in Beijing where he fell to Slovakia’s Martin Klizan in the quarter-finals of the China Open.
He has since been struggling with an appendix problem, spending time in hospital in a bid to cure the issue and has now been prescribed a course of antibiotics to help him take part at the Qi Zhong Stadium.
Nadal begins his campaign on Wednesday against his compatriot and friend Feliciano Lopez and is the 1.34 favourite to make it through to the third round, with his opponent the 3.27 outsider as the pair battle it out for the chance to meet either John Isner or Steve Johnson.
The world number three admits that he may well eventually have to undergo surgery to correct the problem but for now insists he is feeling well enough to compete in Shanghai.
“I was in the hospital on Sunday,” the French Open champion told reporters. “Yesterday the nurse came to my room to give me the treatment again. Today I was at the hospital in the morning again. I had again the antibiotics. It seems like everything is under control now.
“I’m not going to go for surgery. That’s great news for me today.
That’s why I’m here practising for 45 minutes and trying to play tomorrow. But obviously I am not in my best condition.”