Novak Djokovic is confident he can make amends for his poor showing at the Australian Open when he returns to the action at this week’s Abierto Mexicano Telcel.
The Serb surprisingly went out in the second round in Melbourne, succumbing to unpredictable Uzbek Denis Istomin in five sets to end his hopes of defending his title.
Djokovic, who has spent time off recharging his batteries, returns in Acapulco where he is the top seed and will go up against the likes of Rafael Nadal, Marin Cilic and defending champion Dominic Thiem.
It has been a difficult last nine months or so for the world number two, having freely admitted that he lost focus after finally completing the career Grand Slam by claiming the French Open.
The 29-year-old now feels refreshed after his break and is looking forward to getting back on the court in what will be his maiden appearance at the Mundo Imperial Acapulco Princess.
Djokovic opens his campaign on Wednesday against Martin Klizan, a match he is 1.06 to win while the Slovak is 7.50.
The 12-time Grand Slam champion says he has rediscovered his passion for the game and is raring to go in Mexico.
He said: “All in all, I feel that I’m in a much better state of mind than maybe I was at the end of last year.
So I keep on going. I love this sport. That’s why I’m playing it. “That’s why I’m here.
I’m just hoping that I can stay healthy and as dedicated as best as I can be.”