Caroline Wozniacki says she expects to be fit for the Australian Open later this month despite being forced out of the Sydney International with a wrist injury.
The Dane had to walk off during her first-round meeting with Czech Barbora Zahlavova Strycova on Monday due to the problem after losing the first set 6-4 and with the second tied at 1-1.
The world No 8 must be rated as a doubt for the Melbourne Grand Slam but she is staying positive over her chances of being fit for the first big tournament of the year, with a week to go before the action gets underway on January 19.
“There’s still a week to go and hopefully it will be fine,” Wozniacki said. “We’ll see how it feels on [Tuesday], but I’m confident I’ll be fine to play in Melbourne.”
The former world No 1, who beat Zahlavova Strycova in three sets in the semi-finals of the ASB Classic in Auckland last week before losing to Venus Williams in the final, will now undergo treatment in a bid to be fit.
She added: “I didn’t want to do it worse before Melbourne as well so I will try to get some treatment on it and try to get ready for next week.”
Wozniacki is among those hoping to go far in the Australian Open, along with the likes of Victoria Azarenka, Maria Sharapova, Simona Halep and Petra Kvitova with Serena Williams regarded as the favourite for more glory down under.
Zahlavova Strycova will now play Australia’s Samantha Stosur in the second round in Sydney following Wozniacki’s early withdrawal.