Share this story
Claim your Bonus
Get 100% up to SGD100 Bonus on your First Deposit
Willie Mullins says Simenon remains on course for the Emirates Melbourne Cup despite a somewhat disappointing third on his Australian debut at Caulfield last week.
Mullins’ charge was beaten in the Herbert Power Stakes, losing by just three-quarters of a length, as he warmed up for a potential crack at the richest handicap in the world on November 5.
While that was viewed as a slightly below-par performance by some, Mullins has declared himself satisfied with the run as he waits on getting the final nod for the Flemington showpiece next month.
Simenon is not yet guaranteed a run in the Melbourne Cup but Mullins says he has been told it is very likely his charge will be included for the eagerly-anticipated Group One event.
“He’s in good form and has taken his race well,” he said. “He still needs seven to come out to get a run but they tell me it looks odds on he will get in but you never know.”
The six-year-old, who chased home Estimate in the Gold Cup at Royal Ascot in June, was also then just edged out by Ahzeemah in a close finish to the Lonsdale Cup at York and is rated as a lively outsider for the Melbourne Cup at this stage.
Early favourites for the prestigious race include Fiorente, Puissance De Lune, Hawkspur and Sea Moon.