McLaren’s Jenson Button has admitted he is pleased to have been given the chance to stay with the team for the 2015 season.
The British team have yet to formally confirm their driver line-up, but Button appears confident that he will be staying put.
Team boss Eric Boullier admitted on Sunday at the Singapore Grand Prix that the decision had almost been made official.
He said: “More or less, yes. More or less it is open and more or less it is decided.”
Button’s place in the team had been under threat as rookie Kevin Magnussen was expected to continue after impressing in his first season.
Button, the 2009 world champion, is out of contract at McLaren at the end of the current campaign and the team had admitted in the past they wanted a big name for 2015.
The likes of Fernando Alonso, Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel were linked but all are currently under contract with their current teams.
Button now looks likely to stay and he has already turned his attention to improving during qualifying sessions.
He said: “I’m pretty happy I’ll be here next year, and I feel I’m doing a good job right now. I just have to sort Saturdays a bit more.
“I’ve been a bit unlucky and not got the best out of it every weekend, which annoys me more than anything else, but I’ll get there.”