Share this story
Claim your Bonus
Get 100% up to SGD100 Bonus on your First Deposit
Manchester City midfielder Fernandinho admits he is delighted to be called up to the Brazil squad – but says he expected to be selected.
Fernandinho has been in fine form this season for Manuel Pellegrini’s side since his summer move from Shakhtar Donestsk. The 28-year-old has scored three goals in 20 Premier League games so far and has formed a formidable partnership with Yaya Toure in the heart of the City midfield.
His performances haven’t got unnoticed and Brazil coach Luiz Felipe Scolari has picked him for his squad for next month’s friendly against South Africa.
Fernandinho is currently on the sidelines with a thigh injury but he is expected to return shortly and he admits he can’t wait to continue to impress as he eyes a place in Brazil’s World Cup squad.
“I did expect to get called up because all my work at Manchester City in recent months was done with the goal of getting called up,” Fernandinho told Globo Esporte.
“This is the last call-up before the World Cup, so I did have that expectation. When the squad was announced, it was the total joy. I was following through the internet and I got very happy.
“I arrived at home after training and the telephone began to ring. I was really anxious to find out if my name was on the list.
“It was an immense joy for me. It’s a big challenge for me. If I get the opportunity to show what I can do, I will do the best to be on the final list for the World Cup.”
Fernandinho will be aiming to start for Brazil in their first match against Croatia in the finals on June 12.
Scolari’s side are expected to make full use of home advantage and they can be backed at 3.90 to win. See 2014 World Cup betting.