Alvaro Arbeloa has said Real Madrid are already looking forward to a first city showdown of the new La Liga season against Atletico Madrid on September 13.
A Los Blancos side containing Gareth Bale, as well as marquee summer signings Toni Kroos and James Rodriguez, let slip an early two-goal lead to lose 4-2 against Real Sociedad at Estadio Municipal de Anoeta on Sunday.
The setback led to a public apology from coach Carlo Ancelotti, who accused his expensively assembled players of not having “the required attitude to see out the game” and being “too soft”.
The experienced Italian coach added: “This isn’t a problem with just one player or another, but a general problem. The team lost after a fantastic first half hour.”
Attention now turns to the international break but experienced defender Arbeloa is already looking ahead to the Madrid derby against El Atleti.
Diego Simeone’s champions will arrive at Estadio Santiago Bernabeu having won the Spanish Super Cup against their illustrious neighbours last month and Arbeloa says Ancelotti’s men will be determined to put a dent in Atletico’s title hopes.
“The defeat in San Sebastian was particularly hard because of the way it happened,” he said at an event for Adidas.
“But we are now thinking about working hard. We have a very important match against Atletico after the break with our people and our fans.
“We’re aware that this is a warning and it will motivate us and help us see that we need a change.”
Real Madrid are currently priced the 4.50 favourites with Dafabet to win this season’s Champions League.