Share this story
Claim your Bonus
Get 100% up to SGD100 Bonus on your First Deposit
Timothy Bradley defeated Juan Manuel Marquez on a split-decision in Las Vegas on Saturday evening to retain his WBO welterweight title.
The 30-year-old American, who went into the bout looking to protect his 30-fight unbeaten record and propel himself into the boxing Hall of Fame, was awarded the fight 116-112 and 115-113 by two of the judges, while the other scored it 115-113 in favour of 40-year-old Mexican, Marquez.
Bradley, who defeated Manny Pacquiao – also on a split decision – in June 2012, was delighted with his performance and there is already talk of a re-match with the Filipino great should the Pac-Man come through his November 24 bout against Brandon Rios in Macau.
Bradley said: “He couldn’t touch me. I gave him a boxing lesson.”
Marquez, who finally beat Pacquiao in December last year at the fourth time of asking, hit out at the decision as he felt he had been ‘robbed’ once again in his career to slip to a seventh defeat from 63 fights, while he also missed out on the chance to become the first Mexican to win world titles in five weight classes.
“I know I did my job and I’m happy with what I’ve done. I landed the best shots… to win a fight it’s not always necessary to win by KO,”
Marquez said. “I’ve been robbed six times in my career. I clearly won the fight.”