Novak Djokovic says he is not sure whether he will take up his place at Wimbledon after suffering a shock exit at the French Open.
The Serbian has endured a tough 2018 and had to undergo surgery to address an issue with his elbow earlier in the season.
Many suspected that he could struggle at Roland Garros due to a lack of competitive action but he proved his doubters wrong, making it through to the quarter-finals without any drama.
Djokovic dropped just one set before going up against Marco Cecchinato in the last-eight on Tuesday and he was expected to ease through to the semi-finals.
However, Cecchinato, who had never won a main-draw match at a Grand Slam prior to this year’s Roland Garros, shocked Djokovic to set up a clash with Dominic Thiem on Friday.
The former world number one saved three match points and missed three set points before eventually falling 6-3 7-6 (7-4) 1-6 7-6 (13-11).
The 12-time Grand Slam champion was clearly frustrated following his defeat but admitted that Cecchinato was a deserving winner.
Djokovic said: “The one that won deserved to win the match, and that was Marco today.
“I know him well. He’s a great guy. He deserved. And that’s something everybody should do.”
Djokovic has struggled for consistency over the last year-and-a-half, having failed to go beyond the quarter-finals at a Grand Slam since the 2016 US Open, and he admits that he is not sure whether he will even take part in the next stage of the season.
“I don’t know if I’m going to play on grass,” he added.