Former world number one Tiger Woods claims he will make a “full recovery” after being forced to undergo back surgery for the second time in his career.
Having already gone under the knife before, Wednesday’s operation was the second time the American has had surgery in the last 18 months.
The latest treatment means Woods won’t feature in any competition for the remainder of 2015 and he will now focus his attentions on coming back stronger and adding to his 14 major titles next year.
After feeling some discomfort in his back and hip over the last few weeks out on the course, the 39-year-old believes surgery earlier this week was the best option and he is now concentrating on getting back to full fitness for a push at the majors in 2016.
He said on his official website: “This is certainly disappointing, but I’m a fighter.
“I’ve been told I can make a full recovery, and I have no doubt I will.
“I appreciate the fans’ concern and support. This is unfortunate, but these things happen.
“I’ve been injured before and played again. It won’t be any different this time.”
Woods is at 19.00 to win the US Masters next year, with current world number one Rory McIlroy at 7.50.
The Northern Irishman is the joint favourite for the competition at Augusta, with American Jordan Spieth also at 7.50.