Chelsea boss Antonio Conte says he will continue rotating his team in the Carabao Cup ahead of a quarter-final against Bournemouth on Wednesday evening.
The Blues boss has used the League Cup this season as a vehicle to give fringe players a chance to shine. With Manchester City streaking away from the competition in the Premier League – Conte even suggested last week that the title is now beyond the champions – and Chelsea having a tough Champions League draw against Barcelona in the New Year, Conte will not be tempted to change tack against the Cherries.
The Italian says the likes of N’Golo Kante and others must get the chance to rest, with a hectic schedule for his side going into the New Year. “Every competition is serious, our task is to try to win the game, to reach the semi-final,” he said. “At the same time, it is right in this competition to give the opportunity to the players who are not playing regularly.
“It is right to continue in this way with my players because it is very hard to ask your players to play every game. “For example, [N’Golo] Kante played 10 games in a row. It means you take a great risk for injuries.” Conte was once more pushed on speculation linking David Luiz with a move away from Stamford Bridge, but the Chelsea boss simply says that he does not indulge in “paper talk”. ”
I don’t read [the speculation] and I [therefore] solve the problem. I don’t read so I don’t have information about this topic,” he added. “As a person I am very realistic, I like to tell the truth.”
Chelsea are 1.29 to beat Bournemouth, Eddie Howe’s side are 10.00 while the draw is 6.00.