Everton forward Steven Naismith admits that he is considering his future at the club due to a lack of first-team opportunities this season.
The Scotland international has made nine league appearances for the Toffees so far this campaign, but none since the 3-0 home defeat to Manchester United on October 17.
The 29-year-old has featured in Capital One Cup ties against Norwich and Middlesbrough during the intervening period, but in total he has only started five matches during the campaign.
The former Rangers player was linked with a switch to Norwich during the summer and he has now confirmed that he will hold discussions with boss Roberto Martinez regarding his future, with the January transfer window set to open in less than a month’s time.
Naismith said: “When Norwich were interested in me in the summer, it was the manager who said he didn’t want it to happen. But as a player you need to think about all your options. The manager said we’d speak about it again come January time so we’ll do that.”
The Scot is impressed by the wealth of talent currently on display at Goodison Park, but he admits that he is frustrated by his own lack of involvement.
He added: ‘We’ve got a squad that is full of unbelievable young talent and when you’re not playing it’s amazing to sit and watch these guys play with no fear, but on the other side of it I’m frustrated that I can’t get into the team.”
Naismith will hope to play some part in the Toffees’ next match – ironically against Norwich at Carrow Road on Saturday.
The Blues are available at 2.50 to secure all three points, whilst the Canaries are on offer at 2.88 and the draw is a 3.40 shout.